Monday, February 20, 2006

Cowboys, elves, and dogs, oh my!


And on to the movies...I think that maybe it's time for a quick note about some movies Wendy and I checked out on DVD recently:

  • "Elizabethtown": I can't blame this "fiasco" on Orlando Bloom, since the handsome elf gave it his best (and made us forget, temporarily, that he's not American). Kirsten Dunst adopts a southern accent, and occasionally remembers to stick to it from one scene to the next. She plays a character who is so annoyingly bubbly and ambitious that she actually causes motion sickness in anyone who watches her. But the biggest blame belongs with director Cameron Crowe--so spot-on with his "Jerry Macquire"--who can't seem to decide on a focus for this comedy-drama-romance-roadtrip-family-tragedy-coming-of-age two-hour snoozer. (** out of four)
  • "Must Love Dogs"--Must not see. Bad jokes, bad acting, bad script, no chemistry between leads, and one of the most awkward and contrived car-chase scenes ever captured on film. (*1/2 out of four)
  • "Serenity"--Wendy and I actually enjoyed this sci-fi adventure, once we figured out that the characters were talking like cowboys for a reason. I know, it sounds strange--people on spaceships talking like cowboys. That said, it was also pretty clever, thrilling, and actually made us interested in the cancelled TV show that it is based on ("Firefly"). Not a bad way to spend a Saturday night, especially if you are not allergic to sci-fi. (*** out of four)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see your blog being put to good use. I've missed your movie reviews. I've only seen "Must Love Dogs" but completely agree, it was a snoozer, loser.

Anonymous said...

It pleases me that my gut told me not to drag Jon to either of the romantic comedies reviewed here. I earned only a finite number of chick flick credits by agreeing to sit through King Kong and I certainly would NOT have wanted to flush them away on the aforementioned drivel.

Anonymous said...

Generally: I am glad Jay started blogging his reviews, now maybe he won't have so many uneducated blockbuster patrons calling him on Friday night - Don't tell me I am the only one who does that!

Specifically: I haven't seen any of these three movies. Unlike Jon, I have apparently given Katie an unlimited number of chick flick credits, so I achieved a little victory by being out of the country when Katie watched the apparent loser "Must Love Dogs."

Anonymous said...

Dear J-dawg. Glad to see your words on the "air" or the page. whatever. It is about time. And thanks for the review as it will save me bucks. But how about the Johnny Cash movie. Can the star really do justice to "ring of fire" and other favorites.
Hal J

Anonymous said...

Quinn and I also watched Elizabeth town this weekend. Actually, he watched it and I slept throught it. I didn't like it very much at all, but Quinn actually seemed to. Oh, well. I'll have to give a whirl to the half I didn't see and see who I agree with...Quinn or Justin