Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Is "Lost" good again?

I really hope my sentiments aren't premature, but right now the answer to the question is YES, "Lost" has been really good in recent weeks. True, the Nikki/Paulo episode was morbid, but in a very logically-satisfying way. But at least the recent Locke and Kate episodes felt relevant and moved the story along. This pleasing trend was magnified tonight in the very intriguing, very smart, very revealing Juliet-centric episode. Why was it so satisfying? Probably because it gave us some good answers, and restored a bit of our waning faith that the producers aren't just making it up from week to week. It feels really good to say it: "Lost" is finally worth talking about again!

I wish I could say the same for "24," which, after starting the season strong, has lagged in recent weeks under the heavy burden of a boring White House, Jack's unconvincing family history, and an interminable nuclear bomb/terrorist plot. I was pleased, though, with this past Monday's finale, which at least promises to bring us back to a character whose past was left up in the air, and which will bring Jack Bauer back into the forefront of the show. I hadn't given up complete hope, but the prospect of a new direction for the remainder of the season brings some promise to an otherwise lackluster "24" season.

Man I love my DVR!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie and I agree. Each week I was getting closer and closer to never watching it again. However, last night was really good. I hope Sayid pulls through for us and discovers what Juliet is up to. However, due to Juliet's extreme animosity towards Ben, I would not be surprised if she is now manipulating him into something.

One question about Juliet is where she learned her martial art skills - I thought she was OBGYN researcher?

Also, why is it that Kate can whoop on everyone in one episode, and then the next she is wuss?

I don't want to sound like Mrs. Bennet, but there were some pretty strong indications that Juliet was planted. First we knew that she handcuffed herself to Kate. How could she handcuff herself to Kate if she were gassed? Second, when everyone woke up, they were dazed, except for Juliet - inferring that she was not gassed. Well, if she was not gassed, then she was aware of what was happening when all the "others" left. In addition, if she was aware and she released from confinement (to be able to handcuff herself to Kate) then she must have been left on purpose.

Justin said...

All good observations, Ammon, and yet more reasons to have a little more faith in the producers of this addicting show. Last night's episode even made some of the weaker episodes make some sense. Good stuff!

PJC said...

I forgot about the two buried alive...I guess they are still there and now buried dead.

Justin said...

This week's Entertainment Weekly confirmed that Nikki/Paulo are indeed dead--we hardly knew ye!--and that the show is still alive for at least one more season (and more, if the network has it's way).

Anonymous said...

Justin-
You crack me up. I got this sight from Jon so I could see pictures of his baby, and clicked on to your link. I seriously miss talking T.V. with you at the good old CCB
Congrats to you and Wendy. Lacy passed along the good news. I will check back later

Amy Taylor